A research study out of China has claimed a 90% effective cure rate of an herbal medicine formula against COVID-19. Below is listed the different herbs contained in the formula used to fight COVID-19 in Wuhan hospitals during the height of the outbreak there.
I first came across this study when i read about it in a peer reviewed scientific journal. The journal details research carried out in hospitals in Wuhan China on patients infected with COVID-19, and the details of the research were outlined in a press conference on February 17th in Beijing where the researchers presented their data to the government on what effective treatments were used to combat COVID-19.(1)
Clinical observation and data analysis were performed on the clinical efficacy of a traditional herbal formula called "QPD" in hospitals in Wuhan and Hubie Provence in China during the corona virus pandemic. This study was uncontrolled and was preformed in an emergency situation on patients with COVID-19 to research the effectiveness of this treatment protocol on the novel virus. Amazingly the researchers presented their observations using these herbs as having a 90% effective cure rate on these patients.
Results From Using Herbal Formula On 701 Patients
Among the 701 confirmed cases treated by QPD, 130 cases were cured and discharged, clinical symptoms of 51 cases disappeared, in 268 cases their symptoms improved, and 212 cases had their symptoms stabilized without exacerbation.
In 102 cases of mild symptoms treated with herbal medicine, the clinical symptom disappearance time was shortened by 2 days, the recovery time of body temperature was shortened by 1.7 days, the average length of stay in hospital was shortened by 2.2 days, the improvement rate of CT image was increased by 22%, the clinical cure rate was increased by 33%, 27.4% reduction in the rate of common to severe cases and 70% increase in lymphocyte.
How COVID-19 Patients Responded To The Herbal Medicine
Analysis and statistics of 351 cases treated with QPD herbal formula and had detailed case information was presented as follows:
- In 112 cases that had fever with a body temperature >37.3 ° C, 51.8% of the patients returned to normal temperature after taking herbal medicine for one day
- 94.6% of patients with fever returned to normal range body temperature after 6 days taking the herbs
- For 214 patients with cough symptoms, 46.7% had their cough disappear within 6 days of taking the herbal medicine, and 80% had their cough disappear after 60 days.
- Other symptoms that improved when taking the herbs were fatigue, poor appetite, and sore throat.
- Of 351 patients with mild to moderate viral infections, none progressed to sever or critically ill condition
- 3 of the 22 severely ill patients were cured and discharged, and 8 were downgraded to moderate condition
- Also noted what the herbal formula has good clinical efficacy and treatment prospects for the treatment of new coronary pneumonia.
Herbal Formula Ingredients
Most of the herbs contained in the herbal formula are generally used in the practice of western herbal medicine today, i stock in my dispensary and i use at my clinic on a regular basis. The formula was prepared as a decoction and contains the following:
- Ephedra 9g (Ephedra sinica Herba)
- Licorice root 6g (Glycyrrhizae Radix)
- Almonds 9g (Armeniacae Semen Amarum)
- Cinnamon quills 9g (Cinnamomi Ramulus)
- Bupleurum root 16g (Bupleuri Radix)
- Ginger root 9g (Zingiber officionalis Rhizoma)
- Coltsfoot flowers 9g (Farfarae Flos)
- Baical skullcap root 6g (Scutellaria Baicalensis)
- Wild Yam 12g (Dioscoreae Rhizoma)
- Common water-plantain 9g (Alismatis Rhizoma)
- Polyporus 9g (Polyporus umbellatus)
- Atractylodes 9g (Atractylodis Macrocephalae Rhizoma)
- Poria 15g (Wolfiporia extensa)
- Ginger Pinellia 9g (Pinelliae Rhizoma Zingibere et Alumine)
- Aster 9g (Asteris Radix et Rhizoma)
- Blackberry Lily 9g (Belamcandae Rhizoma)
- Bitter orange 9g (Aurantii Fructus Immaturus)
- Mandarin orange 9g (Citri Reticulatae Pericarpium)
- Pogostemon cablin 9g (Pogostemonis Herba)
Other Effective Treatments Presented By The Researchers
Herbal medicine treatment was not the only effective treatment that the doctors observed when treating patients with COVID-19, two other effective approches were observed. A pharmaceutical called chloroquine phosphate showed promise (this is an old antimalarial drug derived from the herb Cinchona (peruvian bark). Also effective was a blood plasma transfusion from a recovered COVID-19 patient into an infected patient with no immunity (as the recovered patient will have the neutralizing antibodies in the plasma to novel coronavirus)